It seems like there are new slang terms rolling out everyday, and it can be hard to keep up. However, the up-and-coming decor concept known as "hygge" is anything but slang. You may not have heard of it quite yet, but you’ll certainly want to look into it. Hygge is a Danish term for the general feeling of being cozy. It entails warm blankets, lit candles, and intimate settings to welcome friends and family for an evening of engaging conversation. The idea is already popular in Europe, but is quickly catching on across the pond. Whether you’re dreaming of a cozy vacation or are simply curious about what hygge looks like, check out these Instagram-worthy properties that embody the trend.
1. This luxurious home in Umbria, Italy exudes hygge. While its expansive layout features an indoor pool and wine cellar, at every turn there is an overwhelming sense of comfort and relaxation. More importantly, you and your friends can all enjoy it. Rent it!
2. Definitely the most glamorous home on the list, this home in Zermatt, Switzerland definitely understands the meaning of hygge. With candles everywhere and furs to make the room cozy, a few days spent here would make anyone love the cold Swiss winter. Rent it!
3. While the weather outside this home in Santa Fe, New Mexico may not be quite as cold as Switzerland, the inside is just as cozy. The different textures and warm fireplace make for a perfect afternoon reading a book and sipping on coffee. Rent it!
4. While this apartment may seem bright and airy, imagine it at night under the quilts with warm candle light illuminating the living room. Madrid, Spain never looked so cozy. Rent it!
5. In Iceland, hygge is all around. It can be found in cafes, art shops and especially homes. This property is a bit out of the way, but fill it with your friends and family and you’ll feel anything but disconnected! Rent it!
6. Lounge by the fire and enjoy the lush rug under your toes in this Copake Lake, New York home! If it’s cold and snowy outside, make some hot cocoa and play chess or darts to unwind. Rent it!
7. With its classic Danish-inspired decor, this minimalist chic home in Accord, New York is meant for you to fill with warmth. There is plenty of space for your friends and family to lounge and enjoy one another’s company. Rent it!
8. To wrap up the list, it's only appropriate to highlight a property in the home of hygge. This apartment in Copenhagen, Denmark is the perfect spot to immerse yourself in Danish culture. Located in the heart of picturesque Nyhavn, you’ll be happy you have the perfect space to retreat to. Rent it!