By Jackie Toops
If you could take your mom anywhere in the world, where would it be? Haven’t considered a vacation like this before? Well, perhaps this will inspire you.
Five Reasons to Travel with Your Mom
- To show your appreciation. She loved you, taught you, raised you and supported you. Now it’s your turn to share something -- such as your love of travel or a favorite destination -- with her.
- Get to know her as an adult. Yes, on one level, you will always be her baby. Why not learn another side of this multifaceted woman? You may be surprised by what you have in common.
- Because any day can be special. A vacation for her birthday or for Mother’s Day is a great idea, but why not surprise her with a unique “just because” trip? It is guaranteed that this sort of gesture will go over very well.
- To make new memories. It’s all too easy to get swept up in the daily grind and even with the best intentions, you may not call or visit as much as you’d like. Don’t let any more time pass before seizing the opportunity to add to your story. The future is yours to write.
- To pay it forward. If you are a mom and like the idea of your children vacationing with you one day, then just imagine how she will feel if you share this experience with her.
Why I Took my Mom to Italy
For me, the answer was simple. Never in my life has a destination captured my heart as Italy has. I wanted my mom to experience la dolce vita and I wanted to be the first to share it with her.
We chose to stay in Florence, the birthplace of the Renaissance. Just picture cobblestone streets, elegant archways, terracotta roofs and the unforgettable curvature of the Duomo. Now add in the resonance of street musicians, the whirring of espresso machines, and the sounds of Italians greeting and parting with ciao. Then there’s the unforgettable scent of Italian perfumes and leather wafting from stores, the tempting fragrance pulling you toward a rainbow of ice-cold gelato, and the aroma of freshly seasoned pasta dishes. All in all, Florence is an indulgence for all the senses.
In addition to this myriad of reasons, my mom’s grandfather emigrated from Italy many years ago. This trip provided her with the unique opportunity to connect with our family still living in Italy today.
About our HomeAway
My mom has used HomeAway and VRBO for years, and gets all the credit for locating our lovely Florentine apartment.
It was spacious, elegant and comfortable. It was within walking distance from the historic city center, the Arno River and the Santa Maria Novella train station. Our apartment came with all the charm and comforts of home.
Our property owner was extremely hospitable and greeted us with refreshments and a delicious bottle of Chianti. She provided maps, information, and told us where to find the perfect cappuccino. The warm welcome helped us feel right at home.
Our Next Adventure
Without a doubt, this won’t be our last girls’ trip. My mom and I connected, laughed, cried and made memories that we will both treasure for the rest of our lives. You can’t put a price on that sort of experience.
Yes, Italy will be hard to top, but with the right company, any destination can be made extraordinary.